Take a Pi to the Face with MATH BITES!
by Ben Mekler on January 9, 2014
Ready for a piping-hot slice of pi? Of course you are! Last month you bathed in the irrational goodness of the Dance of the Sugar Pi Fairy, and as promised, today is the series premiere of actress and bestselling author Danica McKellar’s Math Bites, a brand new series on the Nerdist Channel that kicks ass, solves for X, and chews bubblegum! And Math Bites is all out of bubblegum.
Studies show that 99% of humans hate math. Danica McKellar (Math Doesn’t Suck, Kiss My Math) is the other 1%. Math Bites is exactly what it sounds like — bite-sized bits of mathematical magic that are easy to digest so you won’t wind up like the protagonist of Darren Aronofsky’s Pi. Speaking of pi, today’s episode focuses on the mysteries of everyone’s favorite irrational number and seeks to take the daunting, never-ending number and make it so you not only understand it, but can sing its digits to 139 places. Bet your SAT prep course didn’t cover that.
Still we wanted to know the inspiration for the series, so went straight to the source and asked Danica. “I love making math accessible and entertaining,” she said. “I’ve been doing it in my books for years now, and people kept asking for video, so here’s some video! You’ll learn, you’ll laugh, you’ll cry. Wait no, not that last part.”
Between her degree from UCLA and her four published books on mathematics (designed to get young readers to learn the joy of math), who better to show you the mystery, the splendor, and the – let’s just call it what it is - magic of pi, than Ms. McKellar herself? And some very special friends, of course.
Puppets, pyramids, and pi? Sounds like a winning combination to us. But what’s so special about pi anyway? According to Danica, “It’s one of the most fundamental constants of the universe, and it also sounds like something I like to put ice cream on.”
So, watch and learn with us each week as Danica pushes us to the vertical limits of math (so we don’t make an asymptote of ourselves). Future episodes will cover everything from those pesky percentages (you’ll shop like a pro) to mastering mental math (and possibly telekinesis), so be sure to subscribe to the Nerdist Channel. Then tell us in the comments below – what’s your favorite kind of pi? Dessert or mathematical formula, either one’s cool with us!
Subscribe to the Nerdist Channel for new episodes of Math Bites each week. Trust us — it adds up.