STAR WARS: REBELS Teaser Trailer Debut
By Shawn Depasquale on October 8, 2013
Star Wars is back, you guys! This trailer represents the first part of a roll-out that we can assume leads to the launch of J.J. Abrams’ new trilogy. The above trailer isn’t for the films, of course, but for a new animated series that promises to bridge the gap between Episode III and Episode IV. From the official description:
The official Star Wars Rebels teaser trailer from Lucasfilm gives viewers their first look at the upcoming animated series’ visual style, which is heavily influenced by the work of original Star Wars concept artist Ralph McQuarrie. Star Wars Rebels takes place between Star Wars: Episode III and IV, a time period previously unexplored on-screen, as the Empire cements its power and a rebellion begins to form. The highly anticipated show, executive produced by Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman, is coming Fall 2014 to Disney XD.
A couple things of note here. First off Greg Weisman is a name with which you should be familiar by now, but if you’re not, allow us to remind you that Weisman first popped into the animation world as the creative mind behind Disney’s Gargoyles and has moved on to more recent shows such as Ultimate Spider-Man and Young Justice. In other words, he is perfectly skilled to handle this new series.
The other interesting bit of info gleaned from the official description is the confirmation of the time period of the show. As mentioned, this is a stretch of time previously unexplored on-screen; Howeverm it has been fairly well fleshed out in ancillary material such as the novels and comics. We combed through some of the previously established events in this time period to highlight some of the things we hope the creators of Rebels keep in mind when bridging the mythology.
- Han Solo, now in a military academy, saves Chewbacca, now a slave, and is subsequently drummed out of the Imperial Navy. Chewbacca pledges a life-debt to Han Solo and remains his partner for the next three decades.
- Lando Calrissian wins the Millennium Falcon in a game of sabacc.
- Meant to eventually overthrow the Emperor, Darth Vader sends a secret apprentice, Starkiller, to hunt down and eradicate the last of the Jedi.
- The Galactic Civil War begins.
- Han Solo wins the Millennium Falcon from Lando Calrissian during a sabacc tournament on Cloud City.
- A group of Moffs, led by Trachta, plot to overthrow Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader. The plot fails, and almost all of the conspirators are met with unspeakable deaths.
Of course, they may jettison all the non-movie mythology for something that falls in line with whatever J.J. has planned for the sequels, but we’ll sleep better tonight knowing we got our two cents out into the ether. Do you have something you hope we see in Star Wars: Rebels? Are you excited for the show? Let us know in the comments!