YouTube Launches “Geek Week”
By Matt Cohen on July 24, 2013
A few days after Comic-Con, anyone who was in San Diego this weekend can attest to the fact that the geeks are truly inheriting the world. From Game of Thrones, to Man of Steel, to The Walking Dead and The Avengers, mainstream America has gotten way nerdier in recent years, and your friends at YouTube are recognizing and embracing this societal shift to all things awesome.
August 4th through August 10th, YouTube (in conjunction with your friends at Nerdist) will be shining the spotlight on 100 popular channels to bring you the first ever YouTube Geek Week, an internet celebration of the geek/nerd community!
Each day of Geek Week will be hosted by a different YouTube powerhouse, showcasing that days geeky highlights.
- Blockbuster Sunday: A celebration of the iconic characters, movies and shows that define geek culture – plus a spotlight on the best original YouTube sci-fi, fantasy and animation. Hosted by FreddieW.
- Global Geekery Monday: Anime from Tokyo, comic-book heroes from Delhi and a celebration of Doctor Who. Explore geek culture from around the world. Hosted by YOMYOMF.
- Brainiac Tuesday: Science, education and knowledge channels that make YouTube the world’s biggest platform for learning. Hosted by Veritasium and The Spangler Effect.
- Super Wednesday: From hilarious parodies to real-life super-powers, explore superheroes, the supernatural and the super-weird. Plus, released exclusively for Geek Week, the trailer for Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World. Hosted by Stan Lee’s World of Heroes.
- Gaming Thursday: A gamers paradise, with live play-throughs, videogames in real life, game-inspired original series and much more. Hosted by Machinima and Maker Studios’ Polaris
- Fan Friday: Sci-fi-themed cooking, incredible cosplay and impassioned nerd debates as YouTube’s biggest fans take center-stage. Hosted by Geek and Sundry.
Check out this teaser video, subscribe away, and get ready to let your geek flag fly!