Preparing for Course of the Force
by Perry Michael Simon on July 6, 2012
Okay, are we ready for Course of the Force? Any questions? You can still sign up to run and get all the information you need at CourseoftheForce.com, but let’s go over the essentials:
1. What: A lightsaber relay from Santa Monica to San Diego.
2. Why: Because it’s fun. Also to benefit the Make-a-Wish Foundation. And because… well, read Chris’ ode to Star Wars over at StarWars.com and you’ll understand what it means to him.
3. When: Saturday (7/7) through Wednesday (7/11), leading into San Diego Comic-Con International.
4. Where: I told you that. But it starts at Santa Monica Pier on Saturday with a “Conival” open to everyone at 10 am. There’ll also be a “Conival” at 4 pm Sunday at Huntington Beach Pier, and another at 4 pm Monday at Oceanside Pier. And there’s a concert at the end, on Wednesday at Balboa Theatre in downtown San Diego, featuring the Dan Band, with tickets on sale and available by clicking here.
5. Who: The event will be led by Chris Hardwick, Alison Haislip, and Ashley Eckstein, who will be riding on Jabba’s sail barge ahead of the runners. They’ll be covering the event live for the Nerdist Channel. Participating celebrities will include, among others, Drew Carey, Adrianne Curry, Zachary Levi, Paul Scheer, Kal Penn, Michael Rosenbaum, and players from the LA Galaxy.
6. Sponsors and marketing sponsors: LucasFilm Ltd., Nerdist Industries, and Octagon are the creators, and eBay, State Farm, Farmer John, Otter Pops, Hasbro, Shoebacca, Gogo, Rovio, Hyundai, and PlayMechanix are also supporting the event. Yay.
7. Auction: Oh, yeah, some great stuff will be auctioned off on eBay starting Saturday. YOU HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT. Go here and bookmark it. You won’t regret it.
7. Registration: Right here at this link.
We’ll have more coming up, and you’ll get video coverage at the Nerdist Channel all weekend. But if you’re in Southern California for the next few days, come on out, enjoy the Conivals, cheer the runners on, maybe even donate and run yourself. See you out there.